Sometimes I may not be available for an event and you may want to look elsewhere so here are my top 5 tips for booking a magician.
1. Make sure your Magician has the correct insurance and is covered to work in the venue you’re at. A lot of places these days will ask for proof of insurance, as they won’t be responsible if anything happens. Also I’ve heard some stories about magician accidentally damaging other people’s property such as rings or watches or accidentally hurting someone when they weren’t covered.
2. Look up reviews for your magician. Don’t just take their word for it, check on reputable sites like Google for a more reliable source as people have to have a genuine account unlike some sites. See if they have a Facebook page or a Twitter account; customers often leave reviews on social media sites too. With Facebook you may have a mutual friend that has liked the page and has seen the magician perform.
3. Some magicians do it as a hobby and take on the odd gigs, but it’s not their full-time job. However for a wedding or a corporate event you want someone who is professional and will give an excellent level of service. They should be happy to provide you with contracts, invoices, receipts and references. They should reply to your enquiries promptly and be happy to answer all of your questions.
4. A lot of magicians will have a residency or residencies, a venue where they will work at on a regular basis. Usually in a bar or a restaurant entertaining customers while they wait on food. This could be an excellent way for you to meet the magician and see them in action, see the rapport they have with people and see the reactions of the guests. You will see very quickly if this is what you want for your event. But bear in mind magicians can adapt their acts to suit the event, although you will see if they have that likeability.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions; get their contact details and keep copies of emails and agreements made between yourself and the magician. Magicians are not cheap, so make sure you are completely satisfied.
Feel free to contact me for more tips and advice. I would also certainly recommend another trusted magician that I know will deliver.